FINANCIAL MODELLING PACKAGE IN PYTHON?

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 14:55:04 EST 2000

In article <pqKd4.2780$Ef6.704898 at news.shore.net>, Michael P. Reilly
<arcege at shore.net> writes
OK your reply much appreciated. I don't think you get what I need
concerning arith errors. I will be doing millions if not american
billions of fp ops. I'm certainly not going to go through 15000 lines of
fairly dense linear algebra surrounding each with protection; that would
defeat the purpose of the DLL as a speed up.

I guess I have to trap the errors globally for the big subroutine. I was
hoping to find out if that was valid or if implicitly I can rely on
Python to do that; clearly in that case there are resource loss issues
if I have allocated storage at the interface level.

As for the IO the global funcs are part of the original library they are
similar to PySys_WriteStdout/error, but have redirectable handles. I
guess I can easily handle any redirections in python. Or provide fd
wrappers as you suggest. It's a pity in that case that Just's mywrite
couldn't be exported from python15.dll as a helper routine.

As for threading; I guess what you're saying is that I might need to
acquire the lock if I am leaving my module and executing some python as
then the python thread counter could tick over and potentially allow
another thread to begin re-executing my code.

Once again thanks.
--
Robin Becker