Python MySQL.connect() question

Jim Conger jimc at regnoc.com
Sun Jan 30 12:24:15 EST 2000

Boudewijn,

Thanks you for the quick response.  I'm still missing something.  Here is my
attempt to follow you example.  First I check that mySQL is running using
mysqladmin, and then attempt to connect in python:

$ mysqladmin -ppassword processlist

| Id | User | Host     | db | Command  | Time | State | Info
| 12 | jimc | localhost |    | Processes | 0 |    |     |

$ python
Python 1.5.1...........
>>> import MySQL;
>>> self.dbConnection = MySQL.connect("localhost","jimc","password")
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
MySQL.error: Can't connect to local MySQL server

Does mySQL need to be already connected to a DB?  If so how?  I'm sure it is
obvious, but I can't figure it out!

Regards,
Jim Conger
www.regnoc.com