Finding where Python is on a Unix server through Telnet?

Paul Jackson pj at sgi.com
Mon Jan 3 15:43:55 EST 2000

A portable equivalent to the locate/which/whence/...
confusion (one that I've typed so often I think of
it as a single command) is:

    % sh	    # get a Bourne/Korn/Bash like sub-shell
    $ IFS=': '	    # add colon ':' to Input Field Separators
    $ for i in $PATH
    > do
    >   test -f $i/python && ls -ltd $i/python
    > done
    -rwxr-xr-x  2 root  user  3731188 Jun 11  1999 /usr/local/bin/python
    $ exit	    # leave subshell (with its funky IFS setting)

You don' have to key in the comments each time ;).

And you can skip the "test -f $i/... &&" phrase,
if you'd rather see the ls errors for non-existant
files than type the extra stuff needed to filter them.

And this fails to pick up "aliases" -- for that I think
shell-specific syntax is required.