Python not a Very High-Level Language?

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Sun Jan 2 17:26:59 EST 2000

Stefan Schwarzer writes:
    [snip]
> The idea to provide "true" multidimensional arrays sounds also very
> good to me. Treating multidimensional arrays as lists of lists (or
> vice versa) complicates the use of them, and may it be that a
> special wrapper module is needed to provide the corresponding

Isn't that part of what the Numerical extensions to Python developed
at LLNL provide, already?  Excellent multidimensional arrays with
all sort of extended slicing, etc?

Maybe that word "Numerical" is turning people off -- but, the package's
"multi-arrays" can actually contain (references to) any sort of Python
objects whatsoever, so there is no limitation to "numerical" stuff...

Alex