lib reference in Unix man format

Tao Lu tlu at bmo.com
Fri Jan 28 08:39:20 EST 2000

27 Jan 2000 23:37:56 GMT (Cliff Crawford) <cjc26 at nospam.cornell.edu> wrote:

> Pada Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:48:53 -0500 (EST), Tao Lu bilang:
> | Where can I find the lib reference in Unix man format? Forgive me if this
has
> | been asked before.
> |
> | Have been programming in Perl for years, I found those
perlfunc/perlop/perlfaq
> | are very convenient. Any similar work done for Python developers/newbies?
>
> There isn't any documentation in man format.  I know this because Tom
> Christiansen came over here once and VERY LOUDLY complained about the
> lack of this. :)  Actually I find this annoying too, so maybe I'll
> work on converting the on-line docs to man pages (when I have some
> free time...:).  I'd prefer to have each built-in function have its
> own page though, rather than glomming them all together into one
> large "pythonfunc" page.

If each built-in function has its own man page, I have to know the function name
before I can find its man page. This will be like the manual of Unix system
calls. If I don't remember the name of message send operation, i.e., msgsnd, I
have to use 'man -s 2 intro' to figure out.

What I like 'perlfunc' most is that I can find similar function as well -- I may
also learn some thing new every time when I browse 'perlfunc'.  ;-)