urllib.urlopen returns 'connection refused' on Solaris

Stuart Reynolds S.I.Reynolds at cs.bham.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 09:00:20 EST 2000

Richard Gruet wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> On Solaris 2.6 (Sun OS 5.6), the fct urllib.urlopen() returns an error
> 'Connection refused' for all URLs:

I had the same problem. Locally, we have some network security features
installed that prevent direct access to http and ftp address by any
program. We can run Netscape as it uses a proxy server.

Try running Netscape on your machine without the proxy server to see if
you can download off site web pages. If you can't then you'll need to
see your sysop about it.

Stuart