Python startup seems slow... (NT)

Joel Lucsy jjlucsy at concentric.net
Fri Jan 28 08:57:51 EST 2000

> I see where this technique will speed up the initial loading
> of Python,but you will loose time on all subsequent library calls. Is it
> not more efficient to have all the library functions available
> immediately.

It won't happen on ALL subsequent calls, just the first to use a particular
library. It saves on time when, like most programs I've been writing lately,
they don't even use those libraries. In particular, winsock and multimedia,
multimedia being the real culprit. If my program never makes a sound, then
why should I load the library?
So... I'm not saying everyone should be using delayload, or that the
standard distribution should use it. I'm justing providing an alternative
where individuals can determine it's own merit.

-
Joel Lucsy (jjlucsy at concentric.net)