New Python Books

python at commandprompt.com python at commandprompt.com
Sun Jan 9 12:56:25 EST 2000

Hello,

I recently posted this message to comp.os.python:

Hello,

I represent LinuxPorts.Com (http://www.linuxports.com/) and I have been
approached by a printer to possibly publish OpenSource books. To start
these books would just be paper versions of the actual documentation. In
this case, the Python Documentation and we were wondering if this would be
of interest to the Python Community.

I spoke with the printer and we both have agreed that if we do this that
we will be providing a portion of the Gross Profits back to the individual
projects. In this case the Python project.

Anyway, if this of interest to you please go to
http://www.linuxports.com/ and make your vote. It will help us
determine the demand for such a book.

-----

We received about 8 responses with feedback that we much appreciated and
would now like to solicit some more. If the people
that read this email could just think about a few of the following
questions and provide some feedback we would be very thankful.

We are considering publishing the current set of Python documentation as a
single volume versus several volumes such as toExcel does. Would this be
of interest to the Python community?

One person made mention of the "Vaults of Parnassus" if we were to include
a snapshot of this would this be of interest?

We are also considering "paying" someone to write a book about Python.
Unfortunately, unlike traditional publishers the author would not get paid
until the book was done, and then it would be on the basis of per book
sold. We are aware that this is not the normal way of doing things, but we
are not Prentice Hall and this would be the only way "currently" that we
could pull this off. Is there anyone on this list that feels confident
enough in their Python skills and writing ability to be able to perform
such a task?

Last but definitely not least, no matter what we do, if we publish a
Python book, 20% to 40% of the Gross Profits would go back to the PSA.

Thanks for your time:

Joshua Drake
Webmaster - LinuxPorts.Com
WebMaster - LinuxDoc.org