Folding (was Re: Python not a Very High-Level Language?)

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolmt at smart.net.au
Wed Jan 5 01:27:21 EST 2000

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 09:18:35AM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2000 13:31:09 GMT,
>  lin li, in the persona of <linli at computer.org>,
>  brought forth the following words...:
>
> >Message by boud at rempt.xs4all.nl (Boudewijn Rempt) on: 1/1/00 10:40:48 PM
> >>I've tried a lot of folding editors over the years, and I've never
> >>found one that was as pleasant to use as, say, Word's outline editor.
> >>Perhaps that's just because I was expecting that, instead of, for
> >>instance, Origami. What I'd like would be an editor that didn't need
> >>to insert all kind of cruft into the source files, but could work
> >>on a set of preferences and rules to present the source in a nice way.
> >
> >Just an idea, how about folding on the indentation levels? We just have
> >to forget about all these other languages then.
> >
> >Lin
> Works for me:) anyone up to chewing on the vim sources for this :)

Before we (I am interested in this, too) go leaping off into modifying vim
sources, be aware that folding is on the agenda for Vim 6. So if you are
serious about modifying sources, etc, it would be worth getting in contact
with the developers to find out what they have in mind, so at least we can be
consistent. It would be a royal pain to have one sort of folding for Python
and another type of mindset for everything else that is foldable.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?