[ANN] Multimethod.py -- multimethods for Python

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Tue Jan 11 22:31:23 EST 2000

[Siggy Brentrup]
> From what I see above it [multimethods] might as well be
> some dynamic variant of C++'s template functions.

That's one way to look at it, although a strained one <wink>.  Multimethods
are the general case; someone looking at C++ thru MM eyes would view all of
the latter's varieties of static, virtual, overloaded, and templatized
(sure, hypothetically dynamically templatized too) dispatching gimmicks as
special cases of MM.

It's a natural & elegant generalization of both generic functions and OO
dispatch.  Whether it's a generalization that's needed is open to debate.

i-still-don't-have-cable-tv<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim