Considering using python for something, and need a bit of info :)

PartyG2816 at aol.com PartyG2816 at aol.com
Mon Jan 3 11:12:15 EST 2000

Allo list,
    I'm involved in writing a MUD server from scratch with a small group of
other people.  For you who do no know, a MUD is a multi-user text game.  I've
been looking around for a scripting language... I was considering making my
own that was custom tailored to my exact needs, but in the process of
thinking about that i got repeated mentions of look into Python. :) So here's
the main reason for this post: I wanted to know how suitable Python would be
to embed into an environment like I mentioned earlier to be used by mainly
non-programmers to perform scripting goals.
    A script would be used for (in most cases) to "liven" up the place.
Let's say this person is a builder who is making an "area". An area would be
part of the textual world that contains the things the player can interact
with.. IE a set of the rooms the players character would be in, the thing
sthey could interact with (a chair, a sword, whatever), and the NPC's (non
player characters).  They may need to make a script to perform a special case
thing.. Like say when player a enters room b, under condition c, i need to do
d.
    Could the Python interpreter be embedded and used in a way that would
allow me to use it like this within my application?  I've downloaded the
interpreter and gone through parts of the tutorial... I love it. *chuckles*
I'm a C++ programmer at heart, but I can definately see some advantages to
using Python for osme things.. I think it would be fairly easy to teach a
non-programmer how to use it within the context of my application would be
fairly easy with a person dedicated to helping the nephytes and a few docs.
    Another concern of mine is: how secure can it be? IE can i restrict
certain aspects of it based upon a condition? Say I have a a normal builder,
ie someone who simply makes areas and may perform a few scripts for them, I
wouldn't want to let him do certain things... Whereas me as head programmer,
I would have access to many more options within my scripts :) Or take a
normal "player".  I'm going to be allowing small scripts and macros and such
for my players to automate a few 'boring' things, I would want to give them
access to a limited set of use, and not let them say re-arrange everything in
the room. *chuckles*
    Ah well, maybe you peoples understand what I'm asking and can help, I'd
appreciate any response :) If you have questions about something I may need
to clarify, then by all means ask and I'll try my hardest. ;)

JD

p.s. - If it turns out that yall think Python could be suitable for osmething
like this, could you include a few linkst o places that discuss and give some
working examples of embedding python in another application and running
scripts through it using whatever API is inherent in Python for that use? :)