RunPy (was py2bat (was: How do I make a Python .bat executabl e file?))

Alex Martelli Alex.Martelli at think3.com
Wed Jan 12 08:49:01 EST 2000

Thanks to Piet Ostrum for this information...:

> AM> Haven't seen the program you mention, either, but I've had a go
> AM> at writing a version for Python, just in case some should find it
> AM> useful.  http://aleax.supereva.it/Python/runpy.zip (2477 bytes)
>
> It's not found there.

EEk, you're right -- supereva doesn't serve it, although I have
placed it there and it does serve other (htm) files from that
directory just fine.  Crazy free server.

I've put it in:
	http://www.magenta.com/~alex/runpy.zip
and a link to it on the
	http://aleax.supereva.it/Python/index.htm
until I clear things up with the supereva support folks (will
probably take another 1000 years or so).

> AM> a version that is a window app rather than a console one (and
> AM> which runs pythonw rather than python), options to look for
> AM> the script elsewhere than on the PATH (e.g., in the same
> AM> directory as the renamed runpy.exe itself, or on PYTHONPATH),
>
> In the same directory at least I would think. And pythonw should be
> simple:
> First check if there is a .pyw file and if so, run pythonw.

"Same directory" would be easier than "along the PATH".  Doing
both would be a bit harder of course, and, in what order should
the two options be tried (matters in case of duplicates)?

What's a .pyw file?  I thought pythonw.exe was the exact
equivalent of python.exe, except for not using a console.
Is there any doc about this anywhere...?

Thanks for the feedback & TIA for any more of it,

Alex