Python and GUI options

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 08:56:47 EST 2000

guppy:
 |Have you looked at the wxPython interface to wxWindows?  It's
 |cross-platform compatible.  It'd be interesting to hear if it's quick
 |enough for you.

 |Certainly at the rate its development is proceeding, it's set to become
 |the new GUI standard for Python (thank gods!) (or, rather, thank Robin!)

Dose of reality.  It has to take a big step in the cross-platform area
before that can happen.  Tcl/Tk/Python builds without a hitch on a slew of
UNIX boxes ("configure", "make", "make install" - done).  Sun, SGI, DEC,
FreeBSD, Linux, etcetc.  Tweaking a few lines in Python's Setup.py is the
only "manual drudgery" involved.

wxWindows/wxGTK/wxPython requires someone with experience and persistence
to help it along on a standard SGI UNIX box, in compilation and
configuration.

Maybe someday though.  wx* certainly sports some nice widgets.  I'd like to
see them standard in whatever toolkit Python uses next year (I'd use them),
but not at the expense of cross-platform support.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at yahoo.com