Python and ArcView GIS

Jeff Kunce kuncej at mail.conservation.state.mo.us
Wed Jan 12 10:54:11 EST 2000

> Why do you need to embed python in ArcView?
> Would it not be enough to just use the COM objects with python's
> win32com.client?

I haven't seen Bruce's work, but I'm hoping that it would allow
distribution of python code to ArcView users who do not have
python installed on their machine. win32com is great, but you
really need to have the full python and win32 extensions
installed on the local machine to make it work.

Anyway, I'm eager to see it. I've often wished that ESRI
had chosen python as the basis for Avenue, rather
that pseudo-Java[script]-garbage.

--Jeff