Portable Authentication? WinNT and UNIX

Tom Holroyd tomh at po.crl.go.jp
Wed Jan 5 20:41:16 EST 2000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 charliehubbard76 at yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm writing a simple, portable server for both WinNT and Unix in python,
> and I need to authenticate my users with the system users and passwords.
> I know that Unix provides these mechanisms, but what about WinNT?  Does
> anyone know how I can authenticate WinNT users thru Win32 api?

SRP Authenticated Sockets in Python

http://www.aist.go.jp/NIBH/~tomh/srpsocket.html

SRP stands for "Secure Remote Passphrase" -- it's an authentication
protocol that's safe to use over the network, it's patent-free, and there
are no export restrictions.  As an added bonus it creates a 160 bit shared
secret key you can use to encrypt the data sent over the socket.

The home page for SRP is http://berlin.arcot.com/srp/ or this mirror
http://srp.stanford.edu/srp/.

Dr. Tom Holroyd