Whitespace delimiters suck

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Jan 21 12:04:50 EST 2000

tye4 wrote:

> I've used some stupid Unix shell languages which fail if I add whitespace:

Right. But that isn't Python. People come to Python's indentation with
an attitude like: "well I heard that a lot of Dutch people use drugs so
you must use drugs." "Make" uses whitespace in a manner that is "on
drugs". Python uses whitespace in a manner which is demonstrably,
testably and provably easy and scalable.

> Why is my question about whitespace raise so many eyebrows? This feature is
> commonplace.

Because the feature of whitespace insensitivity is so commonplace, we
all know about it so there is no need to describe it for us or act as if
we hadn't considered it. After all, Guido is a C programmer.

Earth will soon support only survivor species -- dandelions, roaches,
lizards, thistles, crows, rats. Not to mention 10 billion humans.
	- Planet of the Weeds, Harper's Magazine, October 1998