Python plugin

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Jan 10 14:41:46 EST 2000

Ivan Van Laningham writes:
 > Yah, me too.  But it would take an awful lot of funding to build a real
 > web browser in Python.  Maybe someday.

  Whether or not this project was a failure is something that could
easily be debated.  "The boss" (meaning Guido's boss, not Guido) has
pointed out that the primary intent of Grail was that it be a useful
testbed for new protocols; for this, it's not bad.  There just aren't
a large number of those that really seem to make sense for a
browser-like tool.
  If you really want a browser-like thing in Python, pick your widget
set and get to work!  There are certainly a lot of people who'd like
to see such a thing, whether it be simply an "HTML widget" or a
complete embeddable browser.
  (But it would be nice if Grail were more capable and robust;
patches, anyone? ;)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>