strange CGI problem

mrecks at my-deja.com mrecks at my-deja.com
Sat Jan 29 10:46:22 EST 2000

In article <85hb86$jjq$1 at web1.cup.hp.com>,
  "Arad Rostampour" <arad at fc.hp.com> wrote:
> Do you have a:
>
> print "Content-type: text/html\n"
>
> as your first output?
>
> Enjoy,
> Arad
> --
> Arad Rostampour- arad at fc.hp.com
> NT Platform and I/O Team
> Software and System Development Lab
> Hewlett-Packard
>
> Skip Montanaro wrote in message
> <14459.47851.670815.455938 at beluga.mojam.com>...
> >
> >    >> I'm creating a little web-site; for some reason when I view
the page
> >    >> in Internet Explorer, it's fine, but Netscape shows me the
raw html
> >    >> as if it's a text file.  What would cause this?
> >
> >Sounds like IE is looking at the contents and saying, "hmmm... looks
like
> >HTML", and displaying it.  Make sure your CGI script is spitting out
an
> >appropriate Content-type header.

Being new to CGI and Perl we have experienced a similar problem (with
Netscape but not with IE) and it appears you can get round it in at
least a couple of ways.

1) The easy way
This problem can be caused by having a non-standard extension to your
CGI program name, eg 'myprogram.cgi'.  Try changing the extension (the
bit after the dot) to a 'standard' one eg 'myprogram.html' Don't forget
to alter the relevant entry in the page that calls the CGI program.

2) A slightly more difficult method.
With a non-standard extension to your CGI program name the (Netscape)
browser 'sees' your cgi program  and attempts to use an external
application, as defined by the extension to read it, if you have not
defined a 'cgi' application it may default to displaying the source (or
plain text)
    Get around this problem by defining an application to cater for
pages/programs with 'cgi' (or whatever you use) extensions and setting
them to use the browser to interpret them instead of an external app.

Hope this helps.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.