[Newbie] Python, What is It ?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Jan 19 18:33:22 EST 2000

In article <865clq$qkc$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <kultur_of_void at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hello
>
>I'm new to software design, but have a great hunger for learning and
>working to design my software. ( A musical stuff based on chaos )
>
>Searching for GUI design tools, I've been indicated (beside Fltk, MFC
>and ATL) Python/Tkinter, but also Perl/Tk and Tcl/Tk.
>
>I have knowledge in C, Win32 API, C++, MFC, DirectSound... I want a
>heavily graphic UI ( the front face of a synthesizer with knobs,
>sliders, leds, switchers etc...)
>
>Do you think Python is THE tool for my GUI design.
			.
			.
			.
Some will say "yes", some "no".  My own position is
that all the possibilities are sufficiently comparable
in technical merit that the true answer will depend on
how will each tool fits *you*.

That's the bad news.  It's bad news, because it dis-
courages you from deciding based on external authority.

The good news, though, is that with only about an hour
or two of your own time invested in these languages,
you can give each one a reasonable opportunity to make
a "first impression".  *Then* you can start to make a
reasoned judgment.

Other good news:  each language enjoys a wealth of
well-written books, illuminating Web sites, and helpful
volunteers to start you on your path.

In the meantime, I recommend you read
<URL:http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=571126529>
and the references you'll find there, to acquaint
yourself with some of the possibilities within your
reach.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net