Python not a Very High-Level Language?

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jan 7 07:49:58 EST 2000

srenner at lycosmail.com wrote:
[...]
>                                                             As you
> are probably only dimly (if at all) aware, I've been using Python and
> PyOpenGL to test some realtime rendering ideas. At a certain point I
> began to grow increasingly frustrated my lack of control over the many
> layers involved (Python, PyOpenGL, Mesa library, X windows, Linux).

This is called "sitting on the shoulders of giants".  If your
alternative
is to produce all this stuff yourself, perhaps your situation might seem
less frustrating.  Could be worse: you might have chosen a Windows
platform,
or had no choice of platform at all ...

>     Again, Oz looks so cool. And Python is great. Just not C. Or
> anything that reminds me of C.

I'm kind of on your side about C, which has always struck me as a
pragmatist's
language.  And you're probably right about the reason it's so much used
(though
criticizing Python for being written in it seems unfair: Guido should
have
chosen assembler, maybe?  Surely it's the implementation choices which
you
disagree with).

When I'm teaching class I occasionally take a sideswipe at "the evil
empire",
and someone replies "but you've got to use Microsoft stuff, everyone
does".
I wish I could remember where I got the reply I use, which is "In that
case
you should eat sh*t, since six hundred billion flies can't possibly be
wrong".

Good luck with your project!

regards
 Steve