Charts

David Maslen david.maslen at iname.com
Thu Jan 27 21:00:03 EST 2000

Thierry Thelliez <thierry at acm.org> writes:
> Is there any packages for creating charts (histograms, scattered plots,
> line charts,...) in Python ?

Yes. There seem to be a few. Do a search on
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

Just to quickly summarise what I discovered.

Gnuplot, stable, mature and the python module to access is quite good,
but not as feature packed as it might be. The best thing I found.

gdcharts. Very pretty. I'd consider it for generating nice graphs for
a webpage or perhaps a report, but not if I really wanted to look at
the lines in detail.

graphite. Based on the piddle library. I think this will be very nice,
but it didn't do the financial type charts I was after.

gist stuff in python_graphics. Interesting, and interactive, not quite
what I was after.