Python plugin

William Tanksley wtanksle at hawking.armored.net
Sun Jan 9 22:50:45 EST 2000

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000 07:16:22 +0000, Robin Becker wrote:
>In article <slrn87fol9.15t.kc5tja at garnet.armored.net>, Samuel A. Falvo
>II <kc5tja at garnet.armored.net> writes

>I tried com for many years without coming close to understanding it. If
>M$ continues to have huge leverage it will continue to be arcane and for
>wizards only!

Keep in mind the fact that although working with COM may be simple (and
Sam is the authority on this, since he has implemented a reasonably
complete implementation, with a start at documentation), working with
Windows involves more than COM -- you've gotta work out the whole
API/framework classes.

>Python at least allowed me in without a lot of exotic
>verbiage.

That's Python's strength.

>I'm not a whizz at COM, but Bill Tutt, Hark Hammond and the
>other COMerati regularly throw up their hands at the complexity and
>opacity of it all.

Microsoft pays good money to the best minds in the business to design
stuff for them -- and then they hire grads fresh out of college and pay
them below the industry average and expect them to code up the brilliant
designs.

The results are obvious -- an OS, for example, which is nearly uncrashable
by an application, but which regularly bluescreens itself; or a design
framework which embodies a really cutting-edge idea, but which is
destroyed by tons of special cases and bugs.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley, in hoc signo hack