Progress at internationalising the TP robot

François Pinard pinard at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Tue Jan 4 21:16:15 EST 2000

Hello, my friends.  Please accept my best wishes!

I made some progress at internationalising the Python robot, which is
used to process submissions in the Translation Project.  Let me share a
quick status report with you, by repeating part of a message I sent to
the national team leaders, earlier today.  Comments, if any, are welcome.

----->
Oh, by the way.  All translatable strings in the robot tools have been
marked as such, and for the time being, merely translate to themselves.
If you are curious, a very crude POT file (containing many duplicate strings)
is available as:

   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/tprobot.pot

This file should be remade using a more proper message extractor, before
it becomes available to translators for real.  That will occur only later,
as the Python extractor is not ready.  For the time being, I intend to use:

   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/gettext/scan/xpot/*

as a base.  I originally made this program to explore how big would be the
problem of marking all strings of Emacs sources.  A bit sadly, I now need
to make it MULE aware, because many Emacs files (in the /lisp/language/ and
/lisp/international/ subdirectories) are saved on disk using the internal
MULE code of Emacs.  I rather recently switched the hashing module in
`xpot', from the `gettext' version to the `recode' version: Jim Meyering
and I made that one, hopefully better, but using a fairly different API.
Remains to make `xpot' more usable, and to add full Python support.

The `tprobot.pot' file has been produced using PO mode for Emacs.  I adapted
it so it works with Python strings in file, in all 12 flavours (either
It properly concatenates sequences of strings (and allows embedded comments).
An unexpected difficulty came from PO mode not processing nested (or
included) TAGS file, so I rewrote that part as well, even if a bit uneasy.
In any case, I think PO mode is now quite functional for marking Python:

   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/po-mode/po-mode.el

Audacious PO mode users should be kind enough to pretest this version.
-----<