CGI: keeping mySQL awake between hits?

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Wed Jan 26 16:27:17 EST 2000

    Jim> I have CGI scripts that want to write to a database.  If I have
    Jim> that every hit causes Python to wake up, and then mySQL to wake up,
    Jim> so that the script can write to the database (and then they both go
    Jim> back to sleep) then the response is very slow.

Your performance hit comes mostly from two sources: Starting the CGI script
and connecting to your mySQL server.  Best way to get around that is to
dispense with CGI.  You already are aware of at least one Python/Apache
module.  You might check the Vaults of Parnassus (there's a pointer on the
python.org search page) for others.  I think there are two or three.

Also, check out both medusa and ZServer.  ZServer is built on top of medusa
and is part of Zope (http://www.zope.org/).

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098