Newbie simple question - can't find answer

eleisonme at juno.com eleisonme at juno.com
Tue Jan 11 10:17:15 EST 2000

Hello all,
I am using Python 1.5.2-7 on intel Red Hat Linux 6.1.
I do not seem to be able to use any of the math or cmath functions
either in a script or on the python command line.

For example if I type:
>>>import math
>>>exp (4)

OR

>>>exp(4)

I get a traceback error:
NameError: exp (or any other math function that I try to use).

I looked in the lib-dynload directory and I do have cmathmodule.so and
mathmodule.so present.  However they do not come up when I do a command
to see what is being dynamically loaded.  In any case, I would expect a
module missing error rather than a name error.  My suspicion is that the
lib-dynload files are not linked.  Any help on how to go about fixing
this would be appreciated.  Can't seem to find anything in the
documention - so much for rtfm!

Thanks,
Rachel
Educational Computing