Which Python book?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed Jan 5 14:26:52 EST 2000

Bala <engbpa at liquidinformation.com> writes:
>         Python Essential Reference (OTHER NEW RIDERS)
>         by David M. Beazley, Guido Van Rossum
> or
>         Learning Python (Help for Programmers)
>         by Mark Lutz, David Ascher, Frank Willison (Editor)

The Essential Reference is just what its title says: a reference
guide.  You'd have to be *really* motivated to learn Python from it.
I wrote a review of it, located at
http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/python/writing/books.html .)

The true competition to _Learning Python_ is the _Quick Python Book_;
check other threads in comp.lang.python for a discussion of it.  I
think both LP and QPB are pretty good; I'll review QPB as soon as I
finish reading the appendix.

He spoke to the embryonic silicon dreams who clustered in a far ballroom, and
whispered to them, briefly, about the other machines that had dreamed in the
distant past.
    -- From a week in Dream's life, in SANDMAN #64: "The Kindly Ones:8"