In defence of the two-namespace rule

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Tue Jan 25 03:33:04 EST 2000

[Tim]
> Haskell has several shorthand notations for currying of
> various sorts.  For example,
>
>    (- 1)
>
> is the function that subtracts one from its argument, while
>
>    (1 -)

[Cezar Ionescu]
> Actually, (-1) is an exception since it refers to the negative
> integer -1 (i.e. 0 - 1)

Ack, yes.  I intended ((-)1) there, as in

? map ((-)1) [1,2,3]
[0, -1, -2]
(41 reductions, 69 cells)
?

but then it wouldn't have looked so obvious -- don't you just hate the way
modern languages treat whitespace <wink>?

> Of course, since the timbot is never wrong, this must have
> been a test!  Do I pass, huh, huh?

Wrong conclusion, alas.  I (Tim) share an email address with the timbot, and
that's how you can tell when I'm posting:  full of errurs an dumb misteakz.
The timbot is temporarily offline to enhance its meanness chip.

and-after-this-public-humiliation-i'm-sorely-tempted-to-
    give-it-a-double-dose<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim