Interesting article on programming languages

Stuart Reynolds S.I.Reynolds at cs.bham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 13:39:51 EST 2000

Its a nice article. Does anyone know where I can learn about frameworks?

I recently started using metaclasses (I think) in Python:

  #I have some existing classes (there may be very many)
  classes = [SomeAgentClass1, SomeAgentClass2, SomeAgentClass3]
  AgentClass = superclasses[1]

  # Dynamically add some extra methods and
  # attributes to the class
  AgentSubClass = makeNewSubClass(AgentClass)

  # Instantiate
  agent = AgentSubClass(x,y,z)

In effect, the magical makeNewSubClass function represents a virtual
class insofar as it describes how to form a whole bunch (class?) of
subclasses without writing them all out.

Frameworks sound like they provide a way of thinking about designs which
have this kind of dynamicism.

Stuart