XML-RPC Server

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Jan 14 10:54:54 EST 2000

Harry G. George <hgg9140 at skewer.ca.boeing.com> wrote:
> What is the python community's position re SOAP and XML-RPC?  As I
> understand it, XML-RPC is standards-base, platform-independent, while
> SOAP uses MS-sponsored extensions (including, e.g., XML Data).  Can I
> assume that *both* will be supported in the future?

only speaking for myself here (as the xmlrpclib and
soaplib implementer):

- XML-RPC is simple, platform-independent, and already
available (http://www.pythonware.com/products/xmlrpc).
unfortunately, XML-RPC is a bit too simple: it cannot
marshal all common Python data structures (in other
words, it cannot replace pickle).

- SOAP is much more complete, and afaik, is exactly as
platform independent as XML-RPC.  SOAP can marshal
everything that pickle can.

- the goal is to have full implementations of both XML-RPC
and SOAP available in a not too distant future. (and with a
little luck, we might even be able to persuade GvR to ship
them with Python 2.0 or so...)

</F>