Python Rocks!

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 21 00:34:03 EST 2000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:50:55 -0800,
 tye4, in the persona of <tye4 at yahoo.com>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>Tom Culliton <culliton at clark.net> wrote in message
>news:YZRg4.1292$Ve7.28796 at iad-read.news.verio.net...
>> In article <860ftk$bas at news.or.intel.com>, tye4 <tye4 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Have you got extensive experience at designing and implementing
>> computer lanaguages like Guido?  Did you spend years working on a
>> major language design/development project (ABC) including lots of
>> usability studies like Guido?  Have you had the benefit of Tim Peters,
>> a veritable font of language implementation experience and good taste,
>> whispering (or occasionally shouting) in your ear?  I rather doubt it.
>>
>Are you insinuating that this is not a problem since I'm not as experienced
>as Guido? I don't need to design a language to detect flaws in it.
>This problem needs to be fixed. That's because indentation is
>highly dependent on what text editor you use. Some editors convert
>tabs to spaces some don't. Only way around that would be not use
>tabs... which is quite ridiculous (I don't want to type 4 spaces for every
>line.)
>Besides, some editors auto-indent which is a very nice feature.. but one
>that might cause problems with Python.

well, for me, I use vim, and :set tabstop=4 works just jimdandy
(yes, vim also auto indents nicely thank you.)

Frankly, I have grown to prefer the whitespace syntactic style.

>> Part of the reason that Python is so clean and elegant is because
>> Guido, with that background, discarded everything that didn't improve
>> clarity, conprehensibility, and ease of learning, and only kept things
>> that helped.
>
>Python is clean and elegant.. yes but it could me much better.
>Unfortunately, it's hard to change basic syntax of a language.
>
>-tye4

The source is there, you are free to make any changes you see
fit, and others are free to adapt them if they wish. I'll keep
whitespace myself though thank-you-very-much.

--
Jim Richardson
	Anarchist, pagan and proud of it