olemsg32 module used in win32com exchange server example?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Wed Jan 19 17:41:55 EST 2000

Hi All--

Grant Edwards wrote:

> >>  2) Does the win32com stuff talk directly to the Exchange
> >>     server, or does it go through a local copy of Outlook?
> >
> >It goes through the MAPI DLLs - the same DLLs that the local copy of
> >Outlook itself uses.
>
> Cool.  Does that mean that I don't even need to have Outlook
> installed in order for a Python/COM/MAPI program to work?

I suspect that is true, but there's a gotcha.  Unless I'm wrong, both
NetScape Mail and Outlook use MAPI dll's, but they expect different
functions to be found there.  So, when I want to use Outlook to retrieve
mail, I can configure everything else correctly but I have to change the
MAPI.DLL to the one the Outlook expects or it barfs.  Then put it back
when I want to use NetScape. ...

<life-ain't-easy-for-the-dll-impaired>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours