lib reference in Unix man format

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Jan 28 10:46:05 EST 2000

William Park <parkw at better.net> writes:

> HTML is essentially killed INFO, in my opinion.

There is still one thing from Info which is sorely lacking in HTML, which
is the lack of capability to textually search in a whole document.

And if you jump one step above Info, which is Texinfo (Info is automatically
derived from Texinfo), you get something able to generate nice printed
manuals.  Printed dumps from HTML browsers look rather horrible by comparison
(unless you get seduced by images, but I'm thinking text, here).

There is a lot of machinery around HTML 4.0, trying to repair this aspect,
but yet, they are not getting close, still.

I have a big deal of Texinfo documentation in both Info and HTML format,
here, and Info is much more useful that HTML browsers.  In my opinion, Info
was hurt by die-hard `man' addicts on one side, and more by the popularity
of HTML than its real virtues.  Info needs you to know the first letter
of the words Next, Previous, Up and Menu, and to use the SPACE key to
page forward.  Nothing worth whipping a cat, really.