Python Rocks!

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Tue Jan 18 21:31:23 EST 2000

Hi All--

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <8631qm$26p at news.or.intel.com>, tye4 <tye4 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >How hard can it be to add 'end' indicators to the language.. If these end
> >indicators are added, the language would still be backward compatible. I
> >can't believe nobody has fixed this for so long.
>
> Are you suggesting the addition of 'end' indicators IN ADDITION to the
> indentation?

Yes, he is.  tye4, wake up and smell the tabs.  Most people who use
Python like the indentation the way it is, and feel no need for the
unnecessary clutter your hack would produce.  Python is not Perl and we
don't want it to be.

Years ago, Susan Sontag discovered Science Fiction.  Being a big name
with a large reputation, she thought it incumbent upon her to call
attention to the small, overlooked ghetto of SF.  That would have been
fine, but when she wrote articles about SF, she failed to do even the
minimal research needed to find out what fans of SF called it.  So she
made up a name, and referred to it as "Sci-Fi" in her essays.

The SF community has hated her ever since; she had a big enough name and
reputation to make it stick, despite vehement objections from the
practitioners, and today we have such blights as the "Sci-Fi Channel"
because of her ignorance, arrogance and insensitivity.

<and-susan-sontag-you're-not>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours