Python VM on a Chip?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon Jul 17 12:14:20 EDT 2000

Jim Brennan wrote:

> Has anyone ever considered doing the same kind of thing with the Python
> VM?  Is it even possible since the data types of Python are late
> binding?  Does anyone know of a commercial or university project that is
> implementing a Python VM using ASICs or FPGAs?

The data types aren't a problem. It isn't clear (to me) what the benefit
of the project would be. Python code can already run in a lot of
embedded systems through x86 compatibility and JVM compatibility. A
dedicated chip might give better performance, but compiling Python to
x86 would probably give even better performance.

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html