Python in game development?

Pete Shinners pete at visionart.com
Tue Jul 18 17:04:18 EDT 2000

"Mallor" <mallor at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote
> Are any of you game developers out there using Python as your game
engine's
> embedded scripting language?  I am wondering what drove your decision to
use
> Python instead of other embeddable scripting languages?  I'd like to hear
what
> your overriding concerns were, and also what they are now, having put
Python to
> the test.

yes, i'm also really interested in this subject. with all the
"latest" game engines running compiled bytecode for the majority
of their code, i keep thinking python could be potentially the
best way to go with this.
(although things like UnrealScript and Quake3-C will always be
a bit more optimized towards their specific goals, buti can't
think python is really far behind them)

i suppose important would be building a good restricted
environment with "rexec" to allow for 3rd party code.
(owell, i won't get into it, its a big topic, and i've
never had a chance to touch it)

has anyone embedded python into their game engine? how did it work
out?