Perl is worse!

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Sat Jul 29 18:21:40 EDT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:13:16 +0200, Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
>(XML helps.  But don't anybody think it's anywhere close to
>the panacea it's apparently considered to be in some circles;
>that is just Yet Another recurrence of the never-ending dream
>for the Magic Bullet:-).

    Someone tell that to the people who wrote O'Reilly's Java & XML and, hmm,
there was another one out there.  If you want a good chuckle pick it up and
read the first two paragraphs of the preface and introduction.  In a nutshell
anyone who has that awesome tome in their trembling hands is clearly sweating
bullets because they don't know XML, their manager is breathing down their
neck for not knowing it, their wife is leaving them, they are lost in a sea of
data, unable to do anything, unable to even SLEEP, until they understand XML
because XML is /THE/ languages of the gods, business, and Robert Downey Jr!!!

    Me, I filed the book away until I actually have a need for it in spite of
the author's view of its use in the world.  So far I have seen two /examples/
of its use at one conference and to me it looks like a markup language with
definable tags.