__getattr__ and pickle

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Wed Jul 5 16:39:50 EDT 2000

Warren Postma wrote:

>"Gordon McMillan" <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote in message
>news:8F655BA3Egmcmhypernetcom at 199.171.54.154...
>> [posted and mailed]
>> C'mon Sean! You've been around a while. You know when __getattr__
>> hacks go bad it's because they go recursive. (And the stack size on
>> Windows is off by  some tiny amount, so it GPFs instead of traps.)
>

>That kinda says (a) Windows Sucketh, and (b) surely there must be a
>workaround for the Infinite-Recursion-Crash bug?

Well, (a) is your own conclusion, not mine; and Christian also has a tiny
little patch that fixes (b) for standard Python on Windows (it's a
miscalculation in Python's config that doesn't leave enough stack space for
handling the traceback). I don't use it, because I know the symptoms, and
can usually fix the problem before the stack trace finishes printing.

>Oh yeah, there is, .... It's called Christian Tismer's Stackless Python.
>Hope that stackless makes it into the official python, by 1.7, or if
>not, there's always 3000.  Here's hoping.

I love it too, but it gives you a whole bunch of entertaining new ways to
get into infinite recursions.

- Gordon