Hi, my name is not Mrs so-called Gumblenose

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue Jul 4 07:36:02 EDT 2000

PM <vtbl.moorepe at memo.volvo.se> wrote:
> My head hurts.

I'm sorry to hear that.

> If I move to Python from Java from RPG from C++ from C from Basic from
> 6502, am I really, really, really, really stupid? I was not very good at
> -any- of them, but I'm as persistent as a crap dance record on Radio 1.

Persistence is important in a good programmer. :) I skipped Java and RPG and
6502 (I did Z80 there), insert some Pascal somewhere in the list and a
smattering of other languages, but I don't consider myself stupid and
came to Python.

> Will this group answer all questions,

It's decent at getting questions answered, yes. Not all.

> solve life's problems?

Unlikely. :)

> Can Python kick large bottoms with decent database access - not just SQL
> not ODBC, could it go to DB2/400?

I don't have any experience with DB2/400, but I would imagine that if
someone hadn't whipped something up already, it's possible to do so.

> What I liked about good old DOS/basic was the ability to knock-things up
> and try things out, now that's what has piqued my interest in Python,
> but is it true....

Yes, Python is good for that kind of iterative style of programming;
rapid prototyping is easy. Advantage above Basic is that the programming
language is actually nice and powerful.

> I'll probably waste some time trying to find out,

Good -- have fun!

> but I'm not 14 years old. Wish I was - and could still drive my Audi.

I'm-not-14-years-old-either-and-don't-have-an-Audi-ly yours,

Martijn