Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon Jul 17 15:54:57 EDT 2000

Olivier Dagenais wrote:

> We can write a "MatrixPython compiler" (or maybe it would be a
> pre-processor) that takes a file that uses Huaiyu's operators and spews out
> "normal" Python code.  The "compiler" would pass through all non-matrix
> specific code and substitute matrix operators with function calls or
> something.

Something like this has been proposed several times and is IMHO, the
best solution by far. Even if we agreed to add matrix ops. to Python,
experimentation would be needed in order to choose them.

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html