setup.py and NumPy

Sean McKnight mcknight at email.unc.edu
Fri Jul 21 09:10:33 EDT 2000

Hello,

I am new to Python and would like some help with the "setup.py" script
and NumPy.  I have
run the "setup.py" script and I get the following result:

% python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
not copying Lib/ArrayPrinter.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/FFT.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/LinearAlgebra.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/MLab.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Matrix.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/MA.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Numeric.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Precision.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/RandomArray.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/UserArray.py (output up-to-date)
running build_ext
building '_numpy' extension
gcc -c -IInclude -I/usr/local/include/python1.6 -g -O2
Src/_numpymodule.c -o build/temp.sunos5-sun4u/Src/_numpymodule.o
Src/_numpymodule.c:1: Python.h: No such file or directory

The problem is that the search path for the "Python.h" include file is
incorrect.  I have installed
python in another location since I do not have write access to
"/usr/local".  I have looked at the
disutils documentation but have been unable to determine what needs to
be done in order
to change the  include path from the standard location of
"/usr/local/include/python1.6"
to a non-standard location.  I have the python binary in my path and
have set the PYTHONHOME
env. variable but this does not seem to have any effect.

Thanks!
Sean

Sean McKnight

Department of Geography