POOP / Python (Object Oriented Persistence) ?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Jul 11 12:05:53 EDT 2000

"Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)" <tony at lsl.co.uk> writes:
> OK - I've lost one snag, so here's a new one (although much less
> important) - it's not clear (from the web pages) how to install the ZODB if
> one *doesn't* care about Zope in general - *presumably* one has to download
> the standard Zope distribution and just answer some questions?

I've submitted setup.py scripts that use the Distutils to install just
ExtensionClass, or just the ZODB, and makes it pretty easy.  Brian
Lloyd at Digicool, who's responsible for Zope releases, has said that
the scripts will get looked at after Zope 2.2final ships; I'd guess
that will happen in a week or so.  I'm pushing hard to get the ZODB
packaged separately, because it'll be hard to use in Python
applications if you can only get it by downloading all of Zope.

> I still think someone should be pushing this more...

Agreed; the ZODB is really quite cool!  At work we're beginning to use
ZODB for storing business-related objects, and it's an interesting
learning experience.  The major issues so far are:

	1) lack of documentation, particularly for various advanced
	properties of the ZODB.

	2) the use of ExtensionClass means that the standard Python
	isinstance() doesn't work any more, so you need to use a
	modified version.  We've also hit things like ExtensionClass
	not supporting __radd__; the resulting symptoms are often
	mysterious and it's time-consuming to pin down what the
	problem is.

	3) lack of an easy installation method, which is why I wrote
the setup.py scripts.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

--amk