[Python-Dev] PEP 201, zip() builtin

Peter Schneider-Kamp nowonder at nowonder.de
Mon Jul 31 02:09:54 EDT 2000

Tim Peters wrote:

> Precisely that Greg Wilson's test subjects read it as cross-product rather
> than lock-step.  That leaves it backward-compatible but *un*reasonable
> syntax; nobody (incl. Guido) liked such a big semantic difference triggered
> by such a tiny bit of embedded punctuation anyway.

Okay, just my point. BTW: My questionnaire run on c.l.py
(which I left to Greg Wilson because he wanted to have it)
was clear on that syntax, too:
6/9 thought it to be a syntax or type error
2/9 thought it to be cross-product iteration
1/9 thought it to be lock-step iteration

1-out-of-9-is-way-too-bad-ly y'rs
Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter at schneider-kamp.de
N-7050 Trondheim              http://schneider-kamp.de