Python in game development?

Moritz Voss nospam at buzzoff.com
Wed Jul 19 17:45:53 EDT 2000

"Martijn Faassen" <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:8l4isr$l58$2 at newshost.accu.uu.nl...
> In comp.lang.python Newsgroup <newsgroup at neutron.globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >> In the Open Source Crystal Space 3D engine we are working on a
framework
> > for python
> >> scripting. It is already working reasonably well but you cannot yet do
> > everything
> >> that you'd want to do from a python script.
>
> > Can anybody explain what you actually do to attach the python, or any
other
> > general purpose scripting language, to your game?
>
> Sure, for Python the documentation is here:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/ext.html
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/api/api.html
>
> Be sure to check out stackless Python, which has some advantages for
> game scripting:
>
> http://www.stackless.com/
>
> > I'm making a game with a
> > scripted engine and I have to write my own compiler to convert scripts
into
> > a length of integers and a virtual machine to convert it into game
logic.
> > Does python produce it's own compiled code and you then have to write a
> > virtual machine based on this output?
>
> Hm, Python produces its own compiled code (virtual machine instructions),
> and Python includes a virtual machine. You just hook Python into your
> game.
>

> So no, you don't have to do all that; Python already includes a compiler
> and interpreter that can be embedded into your game.

HOW FAST ARE THESE? <drool> I am developing a very similar API to that of
"Newsgroup", with a very lowlevel assembly-style scripting launguage that is
translated int oVM code...

You could say hearing of pythonis like licking fresh blood :)

Okay, I'll be downloading all I need for python and have a look at it. :)

Moritz "Thygrrr" Voss
Client-Server & OpenGL Coder
spirit.link.studios - http://o2.ods.org

> Martijn

> --
> History of the 20th Century: WW1, WW2, WW3?
> No, WWW -- Could we be going in the right direction?

Smart :)