Perl is worse!

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 28 21:16:57 EDT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:50:46 GMT, Steve Lamb <grey at despair.rpglink.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:37:43 -0700, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
>>>     Mmmm, in as far as I can read that, yes.  It is the operation that
>>> determines the type of the data, not the data in and of itself.
>
>>Not in a strongly typed language like Python, it doesn't.
>
>    Pardon my french but... no shit sherlock.  That has been my point all the
>long.  I feel that such a thing, as is somewhat evident in Perl, is not the
>bad thing that some people in Python make it out to be.  I never once claimed
>that Python did it.

You seem to want Python operations to depend on the context as Perl dos. You
may be interested in reading my simple analysis of why this is bad

http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-July/109243.html

The key point is that a good language should not force a reader maintain a
very complicated mental picture while reading the code - you understand a
block of code independently of the context it is used, and when you use it
elsewhere you do not need to understand how it's implemented.

Huaiyu