Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at knowledgetrack.com
Fri Jul 14 19:12:58 EDT 2000

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:38:51 -0600, Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn at roguewave.com>
wrote:

>Well, this could actually be generally useful, but not with the .+
>syntax (since the dot would interfer with methods on the sequence
>object).

My impression from the python-dev list is that this is not the case.  Some
say it is easy to distinguish

a. + b
a .+ b

Some say it is difficult.  But the first is a syntax error anyway.

The only real danger is

3. + a
3 .+ a

But in this case pointwise operation does not make sense.

So I suppose the following rules would resolve all the ambiguities:

Dot binds with preceding number.  Otherwise it binds with following
operator. Otherwise it is a member indicator.  Otherwise it is syntax error.

Examples:

2.+b
a.+b    <-- only this is new
a.b