string issue or questions about intern

Brian Kelley kelley at bioreason.com
Fri Jul 14 06:27:11 EDT 2000

How can you tell what's in the intern table?

This is really in response to the thread "Is pickle buggy?" where we are
trying to trace down a memory leak.

Jepler epler has an example piece of code:

while 1:
  eval(`uniquestring()`)

where unique string returns a unique 5 character string per call.  This
appears to run out of memory after a while on his linux box and on my NT
box.

now if uniquestring returns something like 'a="AAAAA"'

while 1:
  eval(`uniquestring()`)

Memory stays constant.

So, does eval('"AAAAA"') intern "AAAAA" or simply not clean up the
memory since it is not assigned to a variable?

And does this have anything to do with a potential memory leak in
pickle?  (See the thread if you are interested)
--
Brian Kelley          Bioreason, Inc
505 995-8188 ext 207  150 Washington St Suite 303