Python in game development?

lordkaos at my-deja.com lordkaos at my-deja.com
Tue Jul 18 20:24:11 EDT 2000

The company I worked for (Cinematix, a small development firm) developed
Revenant for Eidos and we had our own scripting language that ran the
gameplay logic. We had a lot of problems with speed, stability,
flexibility, and the designers who actually used the language were
sometimes left hanging with regards to functionallity. The lead
programmer came across Python a few years into the project (when it
would have been too late to utilize it) and mentioned that it could have
been tremendously beneficial to development of the game. I was a
programmer on the project and I can attest to that fact. Looking back I
would say it couldn't have been more than an extreme advantage if we had
known about Python beforehand. The game is complex enough and graphicly
intensive enough to require Asm/C++, but from a designer/artist's point
of view, they could have learned Python and used to contribute amazing
creativity to their specific parts of the project. Embedding Python as
the game's internal scripting language would have sped up development
and increased the game quality significantly. I hope Cinematix decides
to use Python in the future (and other companies that need a similar
scripting language).

In article <v62d5.580$GQ1.26151 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
  "Mallor" <mallor at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote:
> Are any of you game developers out there using Python as your game
engine's
> embedded scripting language?  I am wondering what drove your decision
to use
> Python instead of other embeddable scripting languages?  I'd like to
hear what
> your overriding concerns were, and also what they are now, having put
Python to
> the test.
>
> --
> Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
> Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals the

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.