Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 12:06:03 EDT 2000

In article <39771CA8.A1BF8D6E at fft.be>, Gregory Lielens
<gregory.lielens at fft.be> writes
>Robin Becker wrote:
well outer products are just a special kind of multiplication as far as
I know.

We have three common multiplies for matrices and I claim that n vectors
are n by 1 matrices.  I agree that for higher order tensors the outer
product is more complicated, but see

        http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TensorDirectProduct.html

the kronecker product is also called the matrix direct product

A ox B = [a11 B a12 B]
         [a12 B a22 B]

seems to me to be like a tensor outer product; but I ain't no
mathematician ;)

the lie product (or bracket) has applications in sensitivity analysis
and other more exotic stuff in differential geometry

[A,B] = AB - BA
--
Robin Becker