Making Windows GUI programs

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Jul 19 21:51:41 EDT 2000

nick_p at dingoblue.net.au (Nicko) writes:

> Hi. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some GUI
> help for windows. I would like to write a program using the windows API
> set, but the help file that came in the win32all package doesn't make any
> sence to me. If someone can point me in the direction of maybe a tutorial
> or a nice document that can help, I would be greatful

As another responder pointed out there are other alternatives to GUIs
under Windows, including tk as included with Python or (my personal
favorite) wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org).  So if you're just
trying to do something graphical and have only selected the native API
since it was included in win32all, you might peek at the other
alternatives first.  You can mix other GUI approaches with base Win32
API calls without problems so you can still use the other modules from
win32all for other Windows-specific services.

But if you specifically want to use the Windows API (and note you
still have the question of basic GUI API versus a framework like MFC),
the win32all extensions just wrap the existing API, so any
documentation for the API in the context of Windows itself should be
fine and usable (not to mention the plethora of books).

Doing some web searches should probably yield a ton of introductions
and what not, but worst case you can always use Microsoft's own MSDN
library documentation at:

	http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

The library has all sorts of documents, partial books and reference
material about all facets of the API (basic API documentation is
beneath the "Platform SDK" - MFC is part of the Visual C++ documentation).

--
-- David