Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at midway.uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 29 15:52:54 EDT 2000

Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
>It matters if you care about how easy/hard it is to turn those
>"non-programmers" into "programmers in the language you
>are designing".  E.g., the CP4E project, which used to be
>aimed at turning _everybody_ into programmers, had better

    Actually I think it would be easier for non-programmers to
learn a language if it has strict typing.  That way beginners
just need to learn that operators only on objects of the same type and
that parameters to a function need to match the type signature of
the function.  That way they wouldn't need to learn what types a given
type can be automagically coerced to.  That along with the introduction
of type coercion would make understanding a code fragment a lot easier.
Plus, if you add a few other features like polymorphic types you could
make your program type safe so that any program that compiled would be
guaranteed not to have any type errors.

Suchandra S. Thapa
s-thapa at uchicago.edu